Sunday, July 16, 2017

Kentmere horseshoe

Race: Kentmere Horseshoe fell race (20k/3300ft/AM)
Peaks: Ill Bell, High Street, Kentmere Pike
Time/Position: 1.58.28 (62nd from 346)
Our third trip to the Lakes to tick off a classic fell race this year. This one, which is almost as old as me, echoed the Anniversary Waltz (but contrasted with Ennerdale) in that it coincided with some wonderful weather. It echoed the Waltz in another way too, as my time was almost exactly the same (3 seconds quicker) although it was a much worse performance as I was still tired after last week and certainly felt Thursday's giant Watzmann traverse in my legs as we set off up the delightful lanes and tracks from Kentmere village. I have walked this circuit before, and have done at least two mountain marathons in the area, so had some knowledge of the peaks. The route climbs sharply over the shoulder of the Garburn Pass to a bog which leads to a path contouring the tops of Yoke and Froswick. I gained some places after a crowded start, and pushed on a bit to the top of Ill Bell. Wonderful views over the valley and rest of the horseshoe from here. It is a long but runnable haul to the top of High Street from here. To an extent, the rest of the race is just one long downhill blast, but this is actually a lot tougher than I remembered from previous visits, another possible indication of residual fatigue after last week. Brilliant views of the whole horseshoe as I descended towards Mardale Ill Bell, missing a shortcut, then a quick climb up the ridge leads to a narrow contouring line to gain the wide ridge towards Kentmere Pike. This is a short climb, and the descent then continues, although it was surprisingly rocky and boggy in places. I held my position reasonably well, although missed the tape marking the final descent to the village, along with dozens of other runners (it was obscured). Not sure if this made it much longer, but I finished running uphill on tarmac back to the field. A tremendous, logical horseshoe, and another great race.

No comments: