Sunday, April 22, 2018

London marathon

Race: London Marathon
Time/Position: 3.13.50 (2305th from 42000)
My slowest road marathon since 2007, coincidentally (or not!) the last 'hot' London marathon. Temperatures today climbed to 24c, so it wasn't ideal for fast times - but I still expected to do a little better, although I knew well in advance that I was nowhere near PB territory. The problem today was obvious - I have lots of distance in my legs from recent ultras but no speed - indeed, ultras just encourage you to walk at various points. So it wasn't a surprise to find myself struggling at the classic 17-18m point. To make matters worse, I was tripped from behind five miles in: skinned my elbow quite badly and felt like a wounded wildebeeste on the Serengeti as herds of ruthless good-for-age runners trampled past, preventing me from getting to my feet. After this slight shock, I went through half as planned in 1.28.48, nicely on course for my 6th sub-3 marathon, although I already knew that it was going to be tough in the heat, and was already struggling to maintain the pace from the 10 mile mark. I love the event, though, even when I struggle. This was my 8th running of the London marathon since my first in 2001 (and 21st road marathon): it is just such a tremendous route and such a privilege to be part of a major sporting event. The weather meant the crowds were better than ever, and particularly memorable in the usual places: Tower Bridge, the Embankment and the early stages around Cutty Sark. St John's Ambulance did a fine job of bandaging my bloodied arm in St James's Park: then it was back to Oakwood and straight into the car for the five hour drive home for a bath!

No comments: