Saturday, May 12, 2018

Sandstone Trail challenge

Race: Sandstone Trail Ultra (34m/55k)
Time/Position: 5.08 (5th from 193)
There is always something particularly satisfying about a point-to-point race, and this famous route works really well as an informal short ultra: in essence, a south-north traverse of the whole of Cheshire, from Whitchurch over the Shropshire border to Frodsham in the far north of the county. I ran the better known short (17m) Sandstone race way back in 2008, but have wanted to do this event since it was revived in 2011. Given the emphasis I've placed on distance this year, the Sandstone was an essential addition (as the third ultra of five planned for 2018) and I got a place just after entries opened back in December (it sells out in a few hours). An early start from Frodsham and a bus to the start in the centre of Whitchurch in perfect May running weather - crystal clear and cool - was a nice beginning. The route starts along the Shropshire Union canal, a gentle warm-up and much more interesting than I'd expected it to be, past little pubs and pastoral scenery with birdsong in the early morning: all immensely tranquil and relaxed, a far cry from the usual frenetic road and fell racing. It then heads north away from the canal over endless fields towards the first CP at Bickleywood. I was easing into the race nicely, and picked the pace up for the next long section over fields to Hampton Heath with Larkton Hill in front, indicating a change of tone where the race loops past Maiden Castle and the scenery picks up. Excellent running over the escarpment of Bickerton Hill, above the crag where I bouldered this time last year - big views west to the Clwydians. This whole section is a delight, with wooded sections leading to unexpected views then ridgetop running before plunging back into woodland again. After CP2, the route curves round to take in the Peckforton Hills above Burwardsley before heading towards the prominent Beeston Tor. I remembered this section from the 'other' race, and it marked the half way point. I was still feeling pretty good, which was just as well as a long, flatter section follows - west of Tarporley heading north to Kelsall and eventually Delamere. I began to catch some of the runners who'd past me earlier on. I was pretty sure that Jez and three others would stay clear (well clear!) but I eventually found myself in front of the rest with one other chap who knew the route through Delamere well (although it is actually better marked now than it used to be - I had been a bit concerned about making minor errors here). From the exit at Manley Common (CP5) I knew the route very well - along the B5393 to cut north across a series of fields with views to the industry of the Mersey marking the natural conclusion of the trail. I use the final section above the Frodsham crags to the monument as a training run on my way home from Warrington, so with no concerns about the route I turned on the afterburners to secure fifth position. From the monument, I decided to get the pain of the final descent over with as quickly as possible, the scent of pie and peas in my nostrils! A good fell race-style plunge through the woods and into the tarmac of town, arriving at the Frodsham community centre in a reasonable 5.08. The third ultra of the year for me, and the most enjoyable yet: it reminded me of the two ultras I've done in previous years, the Laugavegur and the Manx, in that all are point-to-point events with a clear sense of purpose and direction.

No comments: