Sunday, May 06, 2018

South Mynd Tour

Race: South Mynd Tour (14.6m/3800ft/AL)
Time/Position: 2.40.31 (10th from 40)
No plans to race this weekend, with the Sandstone Trail rapidly approaching, but Vic was heading down to Shropshire for this new event and it seemed ideal as a moderately long run two weeks after London. The weather was absolutely glorious, and I always enjoy my occasional trips to races across the Shropshire Hills. I've only done the classics like Long Mynd Valleys, Stretton Skyline and Cardington Cracker: but this race deliberately takes in the more obscure terrain south of the Long Mynd, with considerable route choice in places. As such, as well as the fact that I dialled my pace down deliberately with a view to next week's ultra, this was a tremendously enjoyable outing. We arrived in Little Stretton as the race was starting (!) having been delayed by traffic, but they kindly halted things as we got ready. The start sees runners heading in both directions to the top of Callow, the first checkpoint. I went up Ashes Hollow then cut left for the steep climb. I was third over the top but there were already five runners in front who'd taken the other route! From here, lovely running heading south on tracks and paths, crossing numerous side valleys, with a steep final descent towards Minton. All very scenic, as ever in these parts. From here, the route was marked for a long, runnable and very hot section up to the conifer forest above Priors Holt. This was probably the toughest part of the race and I was beginning to dehydrate. We emerged from the forest to take a long open descent towards the far south of the range, turning on to the last part of the ridge before a steep descent to Myndtown, a long way from Little Stretton. I lost contact with the two runners I'd been with at this point, and stopped for a welcome drink at this checkpoint. Above loomed the desperately steep Asterton Bank, which I cycled in 2014 and considered harder than the Col de Madeleine done in the same year! We moved back on to the ridge before that, though, following the Shropshire way back to the forest before a long leg with tricky nav up to the gliding club, then down west again to Prolley Moor. A final climb up Stanbatch and then it was the gentle ascent to the highpoint at Pole Bank. The final descent offered up another major route decision: I went for a compromise, probably unwisely, pelting down the ridge to Narnell's Rock before plunging steeply into the delightful Ashes Hollow, which I always enjoy. It was probably quicker to follow the ridge, but it didn't matter: the valley is so pretty and I thoroughly enjoyed the run in back to the finish at Little Stretton. I then enjoyed 20 minutes of relaxation in the most perfect imaginable May weather, bathing in the stream then lying on a knoll further up Ashes Hollow, before Vic, Steve and Emma crossed the finish line and we had a sunny pint in the Ragleth Inn.

No comments: