Monday, August 03, 2020

Arenig loop

Peaks: Arenig Fawr, Arenig South, Moel Llyfnant
Area: Arenig, Eryri
Quarantined for two weeks after Spain, yet another new experience in this year of new experiences (all bad). My interpretation was to avoid public spaces, which I did, although I did carry on running well away from anybody else. I parked near the quarry, then ran along the road towards Llidiardau, turning off on the usual track to the bothy and lake. Over the years, the path up Arenig from this side has become much clearer. When I first did it in the 1980s, I can remember it being quite tenuous. I moved fairly quickly today, running in places, and got to the top in 43 minutes from the road. It was misty on top, but this began to break up a bit as I moved across to the south summit, which is always worth appending to the main peak as it gives better views of the surrounding region. The low cloud broke up completely for my loop around the head of the Amnodd valley to the boggy ground below Moel Llyfnant. This gives a steep climb to its little rocky summit. I've not been up here for a while - in fact, I suspect I've only done Moel Llyfnant a handful of times - compared to dozens of ascents of Arenig. It's a fine summit, with great views of Cader, Rhobell and Rhinog. The descent to the cwm is steep and the base of the cwm tussocky and awkward - some explanation for a slowing of the pace, although the track back to the quarry is very fast and I just broke two hours for the round. Needless to say, I saw nobody at all.

No comments: