Monday, August 31, 2020

Peloritani run

Peaks: Pizzo Chiapparo, Castello d'Orlando, Monte Mustia
Area: Peloritani, Sicily
Novara di Sicilia is enveloped by hills. The most impressive by far is yesterday's peak, Rocca Salvatesta, but for my last morning in Sicily, I ran up towards the ridge line that rises to the east. I'd reccied a small path beyond the dry river bed that marks the edge of the village. This started quite well, climbing quickly along an ancient trail, but soon became overgrown. Higher up, it fizzled out completely and led to barbed wire fences, goat trails, shepherds huts and general unpleasantness. The final climb to the summit was up steep, bouldery limestone and maquis, followed by a high fence. The top was just a long ridge with higher ground to the east. Tricky nav with no map, so I picked my way down to a little gorge to finally gain kinder terrain in the form of a meadow which led to a minor road. I took this up towards the notable wooded peak of Castello d'Orlando. It curved round to a pass, and I continued up a track which was blocked by the farmer just below the top of the hill. A glorious descent to Novara ensued, down minor roads and tracks, curving round via Monte Mustia with the Ionian islands in front. On the way back to Catania, I stopped at the Portella Mandrazzi and took in the 1200m (unamed?) peak to the west: more thorns and impenetrable vegetation.

No comments: