Sunday, May 09, 2021

Aintree 10k

Race: Aintree 10k
Time/Position: 36.26 (20th from 396 [1st V50])
The biggest race I've done since the pre-Covid days, this was a great solution to all the current issues. Last time I raced at Aintree was the British XC champs in 2019, so this was a little more relaxed. Some quick runners in my wave, however, which was a continuous flow of runners discharged into 5k laps round the racecourse. It was all a bit confusing, with slower half marathon runners and faster 10k runners all on the course. That said, it worked well given the numbers. My tactic was just to lock into 3.40 per km pace for a benchmark to build on this year. I held a very consistent pace although there was a bit of a headwind at times, and am currently ranked 15th V50 in the UK (probably a reflection of the lack of races!). If I could take half a minute off this soon, I'd be fairly happy, albeit still well down on my PB.

No comments: