Saturday, May 29, 2021

Pentland jog

Peaks: Allermuir Hill 
Area: Pentlands
The start of a Scottish trip I had really been looking forward to, and it could hardly have been more auspicious despite being just a short early morning birthday jog at the edge of the Pentlands. We'd arrived in Dreghorn in Edinburgh suburbia in thick sea fret the night before - I believe this is the 'haar' of the east coast, although as I spend very little time 'east' it is all unfamiliar to me. The mist made life tricky navigationally, as I had no map, but followed my nose across the bypass and up tracks which started to gradually climb upwards. I was fairly confident I could find my way to the top of Allermuir Hill, and as I climbed the mist gradually dispersed to leave a superb cloud inversion: all of Edinburgh hidden by the haar, with the tops of the higher Pentlands poking through the mist, and views all the way down to Tinto (done a few years ago). I jogged to the top of Allermuir, the closest proper hill to the city, and took it all in. It seemed to bode very well for the rest of the trip. Reluctantly, I headed down into the mist and took a direct line on instinct back to the Travelodge for birthday breakfast and then a great family day out in Edinburgh (glorious sunshine soon broke through).

No comments: