Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Eilio-Maesgwm

Peaks: Moel Eilio, Foel Gron, Foel Goch
Area: Eilio, Eryri
I had more ambitious plans for this morning, but the weather dictated a dramatic downscaling, with thunder forecast and angry clouds wreathing the Pass. So I set off from Padarn, through Llanberis and up the little lanes to gain the main track to Bwlch y Groes. My memory of the Eilio race (which I did in terrible weather around this time of year in 2014) is that it takes a direct line to the top. The main track heads west to the bwlch, though, and is longer but gentler. It gives great running, and a bit of sun came out as I turned left for the main climb up Eilio from the north. I felt a little sluggish for this, but it is steep in places especially towards the summit itself (37m from Llanberis). It was misty, but a few clearances made for spectacular views across to Elidir as storm clouds gathered then dispersed. The usual superb romp along the ridge, over the lesser tops of Foel Gron and Foel Goch - a grassy romp throughout, always exhilarating with all the great views (Cloggy etc) in front. At the Maesgwm col, I took the track down (now manicured) avoiding the sting in the tail up Cynghorion. This makes for a more pleasing circuit, I think, particularly if you stay on the track all the way to close up the loop at Ffordd Cleggir. Back to Padarn via Pete's Eats. After lunch, fierce hail and thunderstorms as I searched for hawfinches at Caerhun.

No comments: