Sunday, May 30, 2021

Ardverikie triptych

Peaks: Beinn a'Chlachair, Geal Charn, Creag Pitridh
Area: Ardverikie, Central Highlands
I'd gazed across to these hills from the belay ledges on Ardverikie Wall when we did that most classic of rock climbs two years ago. These peaks are quite far from the Spean Bridge road, although good tracks mean that all three can be climbed relatively quickly despite the distances involved. Ben a'Chlachair is the most notable, a whaleback summit that feels quite remote when you're on it. I jogged the path which we'd taken to the climb, then continued upwards before breaking off up trackless and ultimately very steep terrain which led to the edge of the obvious snow-lined Coire Mor Chlachair. Despite the lack of paths, I got it right, and then enjoyed a superb romp round the lip of the corrie to the summit. Some threatening cloud and a lot of snow over the remote peaks of Ben Alder, but it was all a bit deceptive as the day gradually got better and better. I took the top of the whaleback ridge towards Geal Charn - perfect springy turf in places, rocks in others - and then descended very steep and awkward ground to the vague col that leads into the Ben Alder interior. From here a good path headed east, after which I broke off for the long slog up Geal Charn (one of many hills with that name in this region). This took longer than expected but wasn't too bad. I had a bite to eat on the summit, which I shared with a lone female walker (the only summit I saw anybody on for the entire trip, apart from Ben Hope). I then took a much better direct line down nice turf to the col below Creag Pitridh and ploughed up this final peak in a matter of minutes. It is a little peak, but nicely shaped and gave a pleasant rocky ascent. From the top, superb views in ever-improving weather over Binnean Shuas and Ardverikie Wall and across to Creag Meagaidh, all familiar terrain to me. I descended back to the main stalker's track and jogged down this all the way back to the car - a good 7k or so (26k, 1307m, 3:59). Family walk to the Falls of Pattack after lunch.

No comments: