Sunday, May 16, 2021

Clwyd Gate-St Asaph

I've never been able to work St Asaph into my 'compass point' runs from home, largely due to the busyness of the roads. But this was a shorter route that has been in the back of my mind for a while. I started high up at the Clwyd Gate in warm sunshine (for a change, although it didn't seem likely to last). I headed north along the OD path, over Fenlli, Famau, Dywyll, Arthur up to Pen y Cloddiau. From here, it is downhill all the way to Bodfari. I had plans to continue to Rhuallt, but didn't feel all that great, a bit tired throughout. So, after a gel, I took the road towards Trefnant. Not particularly pleasant, so I tried to take the riverside path on the east of the Clwyd. Two problems: first, only one bridge as far as I'm aware (and that was destroyed in floods). Second, the path was overgrown. So, reluctantly, I headed back to the road and took the straight tarmac through to Trefnant, then St Asaph for lunch: 28k in a rather slow 2.40 with just under 3000ft of ascent.

No comments: