Sunday, August 22, 2021

Llangollen fell race

Race: Llangollen fell race (17m/3000ft)
Time/Position: 2.20.55 (16th from 149 [1st V50])
Many years ago, I had the idea of a long fell/trail race from Llangollen heading up OD, over the mast to Gamelin, down to the Dee and back. I never acted on it, and this newish race (three years old) instead overcomes the problem of the busy road crossing at the top of the Horseshoe by doubling back from the mast at Cyrn y Brain. A big field, strong at the front, set off for the long climb from the school round the side of Dinas Bran to gain the Panorama path. The race then follows the Cylch Llangollen route above the crags. This gives superb running, generally slightly uphill, and I knew it well from my two previous completions of the Cylch. It was misty higher up, although it cleared above World's End where the route joins the grouse path (taken by the Cyrn y Brain race) up to the mast. This is the hardest climb on the route, although even this is runnable and not too steep. After a fairly quick first half, I began to tire a bit on the drag to the mast in mist and light drizzle and I was caught by a couple of other runners here. We then all had a very fast descent down to join the flagged OD path to the Minera road. I've done this many times but never quite as quick (just over 6 minute mile pace, pretty quick for a fell race). Then came the glorious return to Llangollen, retracing steps before dropping down through Craig Arthur to the OD path below the crags. I have always said this is the best path in NE Wales and it was great to go flat out on it today. The crux came as soon as we hit the tarmac climb back to the Panorama. After 15 miles this was always going to be hard. I'd been caught by another small group (some of whom I felt might be in my category) but after a gel I was fortunate to be able to pull away from them on the climb before the run-in round the side of Dinas Bran and down the steep road back to the school to finish first V50. A great race, hovering somewhere between fell and trail in tone - nicely runnable throughout.

No comments: