Monday, August 30, 2021

Cilcain Mountain Race

Race: Cilcain Mountain Race (Moel Famau)
Time/Position: 37.55 (11th from 101 [1st V50])
This is the race I have done most often - perhaps 14 times since my debut in 2003. I won the V40 trophy way back in 2010, so it was really nice to add the V50 Llys Fynydd shield this year (on arguably the oldest fell race in Wales). It neatly finished off a very satisfying (and rather lucky) trio of races for me over the past week: and I also managed 28k at marathon pace on Saturday. My time here was not great, in fact I think it is my second slowest ever on this route, but I felt OK and the places were settled quite early on in the climb with a group breaking away at the front and me with some stragglers. I kept the usual pace ticking over until the zigzags, where I walked until the fingerpost. A small crowd at the summit (reached in 21 minutes from the church, a minute down on my best), after which the descent went reasonably well, and I picked up a place towards the bottom. Good conditions, cloudy and cool.

No comments: