Friday, August 27, 2021

Mid Cheshire 5k

Race: Mid Cheshire 5k
Time/Position: 16.52 (145 from 485)
If I'd been told I would record a PB aged 51, I would have considered it extremely unlikely. If I had then been told it would be at 5k, I would have considered it insane. Admittedly, this was only a PB by two seconds, but it was still a surprise to run this time 10 years after running 16.54 in Rhyl. There are contextual factors - first, the vaporfly shoes of course, although I have worn them before. Second, a ridiculously fast course. Third, a ridiculously strong field drawn from across the UK. Fourth, perfect conditions: cool and still. The race has a manic downhill start, and I recorded 5.05 for the first mile. Then comes a gradual climb before a levelling and then a downhill finish. My pace (3.21/km) was the same as my Trafford track 3k races earlier this year! This seems to open a range of possibilities for the rest of the year, and also puts me 4th on the all-time over 50 ranking list for North Wales.

No comments: