Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Deia-Soller

My original plan had been to do the GR221 across Mallorca. However, my flight was originally booked for May, a much more sensible time to visit. After several cancellations, it was pushed to a much less sensible time of year! This, combined with Covid procedures, necessitated a change of plan. So, after a late flight and night in Palma, I got the bus to Deia and did this short GR221 leg deploying the same 'fastpacking' technique I used on Offa's Dyke. It was an ideal easy introduction, leaving the village and heading down towards the coast before looping round on the characteristic 'dry stone paths' of Mallorca. These are wonderful and soon become very familiar. Pine woodland leads to a longish climb above Llucalcari with superb views over the Med. This brought me out on the Cami del Castello to a large Finca with superb onward views over the higher peaks like Puig de l'Ofre and Puig Major. It was a little cloudy, which helped depress the temperatures although it was still a tad sweaty. After the Finca, the route gradually descended through delightful woodland along the Cami del Rost and into Soller. Last time I was here, it was April and icy sleet was falling. A contrast today, warm sunshine as I ploughed into a bakery and got some Mallorcan meat pies for lunch in the square.

No comments: