Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Snowdon/Yr Aran

Peaks: Yr Wyddfa, Yr Aran
Area: Snowdon
The Watkin path is generally regarded as the hardest route up Snowdon. To say I rarely do it is an understatement: in fact I think I last did it in the late 90s with Kate - her first time up Snowdon. More beautiful early spring weather today, and I parked at a quiet Pont Bethania, intent on a modestly paced but continuous timed effort to the top. The vertical interval is a good 1000m from the base, some explanation for its reputation, although the Llanberis tourist path is similar, and my race PB for that is 1.21 or so up and down (2011). What makes the Watkin different is the climax, however, which is unusually steep and awkward (particularly given the fact that it was the first 'designated' footpath in Britain when it was opened in the nineteenth century, therefore politically quite important). It begins gently enough, through delightful woods to the waterfalls leading into Cwm Llan. From here, the views open out to Cwm Tregalan, with Lliwedd on the right and Snowdon looming ahead. The path then swings east up steep zigzags to gain Bwlch Ciliau. The next section is familiar from Pedol Peris - rocky and awkward ground leading to Bwlch y Saethau. The race takes a direct ascent, but I stuck to the awkward scree of the Watkin, which leads steeply up to the Bwlch Main ridge and then the summit. Exactly 80 minutes to the top, much slower than almost all the other routes (although I was admittedly a little slower than normal today). After overheating on the lower slopes, very hot for March, a keen wind made life a little uncomfortable so I embarked on Bwlch Main ridge almost immediately. Again, it is years since I was last here so it was quite novel and really enjoyable. It's nicely defined, with great views across Llechog to Hebog and Yr Aran, my next objective. After the rocky upper section it eases along Allt Maenderyn as Yr Aran is approached. From the bwlch by the little quarry lake, I ploughed up Yr Aran in 17 minutes - a bit tired. Many years since I have sat on Yr Aran so I enjoyed the superb views back to Snowdon and down Nant Gwynant. A little path then followed the wall down towards Pont Bethania - I broke off to gain the very steep disused quarry incline which rejoins Watkin just above the woods: 2.35 for the round.

No comments: