Sunday, March 27, 2022

Mold 5m

Race: Mold 5m (Border League race 5)
Time/Position: 29.26 (26th from 218 [1st V50])
Coming into the false flat finish, which has often ruined times on this race for me in the past, I felt pretty good and was initially pleased with this outing. However, although it felt like a fast pace I was again stuck at 3.40km and ended up at least a minute down on my best times for the course (which I have done many times, although it hasn't always been an accurately measured 5 miles, as it is now). A much smaller field than usual, for various reasons, hence a slightly higher finishing position. I ended up adrift of a biggish group of younger runners but was not under pressure from behind, which is very unusual for the league! In retrospect, I think I was too cautious on the climb to Nercwys, and perhaps also on the return past the Butcher's Arms, perhaps conscious of not blowing towards the finish. A 45 point lead for me in the category standings at present with two races to go, Buckley as a team slightly adrift in 2nd or 3rd place.

No comments: