Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Tal y Fan from Conwy

Peaks: Tal y Fan
Area: Carneddau
A slight variant on the time-honoured route from Hod to the top and back. I took the Hendre road in glorious early morning sunshine, but where it gets really steep at the road fork I headed due west rather then up to the old church. This is relentless but surprisingly runnable and leads up to the normal track from Sychnant. This gives some respite: and I was now in my favourite micro-landscape at my favourite time of year. Cerrig y Ddinas looking beautiful and Tal y Fan ahead. I took different combinations of tracks at whim, first heading for the quarry past Maen Penddu. Then up the steep slopes to the ridge, across to a breezy and chilly Tal y Fan summit with glorious spring views across the Carneddau and down to Conwy and the Orme. I continued in the same improvisational vein, dropping off the summit down the path to the north, then heading north-east past the reservoir to a direct line that dropped straight onto the Druid's Circle. From here, I sauntered along below Maen Esgob, down to Sychant and back to Conwy for breakfast: just over two hours.

No comments: