Sunday, August 28, 2022

Ellesmere 10k

Race: Ellesmere 10k
Time/Position: 36.21 (9th from 521 [1st V50])
It's never nice to be hanging on for dear life in a 10k, and I usually pride myself on my pacing. I was aiming to run around 35.50 today, or a bit quicker, considering the 17.00 I ran at Capenhurst. It was going fairly well, bang on target until the last 2-3k, where the pace began to slip as the route takes a gravel path along the side of the canal. I only entered the evening before so my preparation was hardly ideal and I never felt entirely comfortable. I have never done this race before, however, and it is a nice varied course which runs through Ellesmere to gain the open country and little lanes around Cross. Then the route loops back to the banks of The Mere itself before finishing along the Llangollen Canal towpath, where I began to crumble. I was in 6th or 7th place for much of the race, but lost two places in the last few hundred metres as my pace dropped - still a full two minutes slower than my PB set 10 years ago.

No comments: