Saturday, May 11, 2024

Cressbrook Crawl

Race: Cressbrook Crawl fell race (10.5k/400m)
Time/Position: 53.30 (7th from 67 [1st V50])
The ethos of the fallow year does not encompass complete avoidance of racing, but they have to fulfil certain criteria - namely, something I haven't done before, so I have no previous times to compare it too. Ideally, somewhere beautiful and not too hard as well. So I found myself heading over to the Peak on a glorious May day, to the tucked away hamlet of Cressbrook overlooking several of the Dales. The whole event was delightful, and it hasn't been staged since 2019, some explanation for a fairly small field (there were lots of other races on this weekend too). A road climb led to a wonderful looping descent down old tracks into Miller's Dale. Over a little bridge then a long climb up into the hills on the other side of the dale. Really delightful where it levels off through High Dale, most or all of this new terrain for me then a kink south to join the beautiful River Wye along its tranquil banks. Finally it was up onto the Monsal Trail, where I found myself weakening when I should have really made up ground. A proper river crossing over the Wye (similar to Wincle Trout) and then a horribly inevitable climb back up the lanes and little paths to Cressbrook. I was in 6th place at the start of this but was passed as we approached the village, although I did win my age category which was nice, as was the sumptuous array of incredible homemade post-race cakes. I have always preferred the prettiness of the White Peak/Derbyshire Dales, but I crossed over to the dark side for some bouldering at Windgather to cool down.

No comments: