Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Peyresourde-Col d'Azet ride

Back on the bike this morning. I was spoiled for choice, as you might expect in one of the global epicentres of cycling. As I kept seeing TdF signs for the Col d'Azet I thought I should incorporate it. After another nice night between the two rivers in Fabian, I started off after coffee and croissant in St Lary for an easy, relaxing start along the valley to Arreau. I turned right towards the Peyresourde, a famous TdF col, frequently used, and another one of my target climbs. This takes some time to properly get going, and by the time it did I was already tiring. It is not particularly hard, but after the first third of it (or a little more), just below Loudervielle, I took a side road towards Genos. Magnificent views up to the mountains at the head of the valley, with the Col d'Azet obviously a hard and steep climb to get back to St Lary. My decision to curtail the Peyresourde was vindicated as I was clearly starting to feel the effects of the last few days. As it turned out, Col d'Azet is notoriously steep, an archetypal Pyrenean col. From Genos it looms up fairly savagely, with consistently steep and tight 10% hairpins that go on for some time, multiple switch-backs. Fortunately, however, it is fairly short, and after the treeline it levelled out a little. The view back to the Peyresourde was exhilarating, and the col itself was a superb place to be in yet more glorious weather. It is a very well defined high col, with views to the mountains ahead and down to the deep valleys on both sides. After a break, I pelted down to St Lary, another wonderful experience retracing Tour steps. This starts fast but then has some very awkwardly steep and tight sections as it passes through little villages (like Azet itself) en route back to St Lary. In time for lunch again - this time it was tuna cake, pork with pepper sauce and profiteroles. This restored enough energy for me to at least consider an additional late afternoon ride.

No comments: