Sunday, July 14, 2024

Pic de Bugarach

Peaks: Pech/Pic de Bugarach (1230m)
Area: Corbieres, France
Both the mountain and village of Bugarach became famous a decade or two again, as some cult or other decided it would be spared when the world ended in 2012. That didn't happen, but the mountain is still apparently associated with various new-age beliefs. It stands alone and impressively above the village, which might have something to do with it, but for me it just represented an ideal outing for M and I after we moved accommodation from Carcassonne to Limoux. We have made a habit of taking in at least one peak together during our family holidays, so I drove in the van up to the Col de Linas for a high start. The route up was really enjoyable, through a mossy woodland we christened 'dagobah' to a viewpoint and then the spectacular side peak spires of Pic Grosse with a superb view down over 'Cathar Country'. The route then kinks left to join the broad west ridge which leads delightfully to the summit. This was a fantastic place, which we had to ourselves despite encountering numerous others on the mountain. A steep gully plunged down from one side, with the Pyrenees distantly visible from the other. I could see St Barthelemy, which I felt would make a good initial objective next week. I could also see Carlit, which I did in 2016. But most notable was Canigou, iconic Catalan summit, shimmering to the south. I had planned to descent south-east, but after a sandwich the initial steep scree made me consider the 'fenetre' route to the west. This was an excellent decision, and we both enjoyed the intricate route through little crags, passing the little window (a hole in the limestone) part of the way down. After reaching the woods we finally got down to a quiet road which led round the mountain back to the village. M stayed here while I ploughed back up to the Col de Linas for the car. A very enjoyable Bastille Day outing.

No comments: