Saturday, May 30, 2009

Cader Idris race

Race: Ras y Gader (10.5m/2900ft)
Peaks: Cadair Idris (2930ft/893m)
Time/Position: 1:47:15 (29/260+)

Had no plans to do this race, but took the decision to make a family day of it at the last minute. The superb weather was also a factor: very warm sunshine, but also crystal clear, with almost no haze. Further, my two previous runnings of the race had been rather unsatisfactory, and this race has a great atmosphere: starting and finishing in the middle of my favourite Welsh town. I climbed quite well, walking just the zig zags, with a good, sustainable pace elsewhere. Felt pretty comfortable as I approached the rocky summit in 23rd place (64 mins), comfortable enough to relish the exhilerating early descent down the rocky gully to the fast grassy sprint to Rhiw Gwredydd. Superb views of sea and mountain ahead, although the next section - the steep short cut - requires full concentration! I picked up a couple more places before blowing badly as soon as the race flattens out at the Llyn Gwernan bog. This has been my bete noire in previous years and, annoyingly, was again. Lost several minutes and several places as I floundered through and lost all my strength. I roused myself to a limp jog round the lake and a reasonable finish down the road - but lacking any real speed and suffering with a stitch I lost a couple more places. Rather dehydrated, but perked up after water. We then left for the Precipice Walk, which I've never done before. M,D,M,E went to the lake - while Kate and I completed the walk, which is maximum reward for minimal effort. Stunning views of the Mawddach estuary in perfect late afternoon sunshine. Finished with a family picnic in an idyllic spot with views to Wyddfa and Moelwynion.

No comments: