Friday, March 18, 2011

Dash in the Dark

Race: Llandegla Dash in the Dark, race 3 (4m/750ft)
Time/Position: 28:10 (5th from 38 [1st v40])

A snap decision to do this, my first 'fell race' since the injury. After a full day climbing in the Pass (see previous entry) preparation was hardly ideal as I arrived with 5 minutes to spare after driving flat out from Llanberis to Llandegla via St Asaph! I downed a chocolate milkshake by way of an easily digestible repast, but had no time for my customary pre-race espresso. I was inevitably some way off the pace, having come 2nd overall twice in last winter's series, but it was just great to be back having missed the others this series. A completely different route this year, without the long, gradual climb at the start. Instead it tracked downwards after a loop of the car park, gradually climbing back to the lake. The first three runners sprinted away, so it was really a battle for fourth place. I found any kind of speed hard to maintain and eventually settled for fifth - although this was enough for 1st v40 at the MTB centre later on. Great friendly event, as always.

No comments: