Sunday, March 06, 2011

Winter Sprinter sportive

Cycle Sportive: Winter Sprinter (100k/60m)
Time: 4:01:05 (2:53 Swiss Hill)

My first ever sportive, or indeed road bike event of any kind. As such, caution seemed advisable, although in retrospect I probably took this to snail-like extremes. It did mean that it was all tremendously enjoyable, however, with no discomfort or problems (helped by nice weather which improved throughout the day). My running injury provoked me into entering these sportives, trying to make the best of a bad situation. I'd expected it to be distressingly commercial compared to running, but it wasn't, and actually felt reassuringly like a fell race. The first 20m went very quickly and smoothly: out from Woodford towards Wilmslow and up to the M56 near Lymm. Pleasant and enjoyable, riding in a pack quite comfortably. Then down to Knutsford and Alderley Edge just beyond half way. The timed climb up Swiss Hill came quite suddenly. This is cobbled, rutted and pretty steep so I got into a very small gear and went for it. It was fairly comfortable, as I presumably benefit from years of mountain biking and fell running on these steeper climbs. I passed several cyclists walking and recorded a time of 2:53 for the climb which was a bit more respectable than my dreadfully slow overall time! From here, the climb continues to Over Alderley, really enjoyable, before the second feed station. I pushed the pace for the first time on the 7m loop through Henbury and started passing cyclists on the hills and catching groups in front. It was too late to improve my time though, so I continued to relax through leafy Prestbury (familiar from Macclesfield half marathon), and up into Dark Peak territory through Bollington and Pott Shrigley. Not far from Windgather here, certainly felt like the Peak with some short climbs. I took a wrong turning here (vandals had altered the signs) and pointlessly climbed an additional hill before righting myself for the trip down through the suburbs to Stockport and back to Woodford. An excellent event which was particularly welcome after all the missed races so far this year.

No comments: