Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cheshire Cat sportive

Cycle Sportive: Cheshire Cat long route (100m)
Time/Position: 7:02:12 (645/1200)

The running equivalent of this slow time might be a gently jogged marathon, so it's a slightly embarrassing addition to the CV. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the route, if not the abysmal organisation. And as I started road cycling from scratch two months ago, after my running injury, and only did two 40 mile rides and one 60 miler in preparation, I suppose I wasn't too surprised with the snail's pace. I had a lot of fun on all the climbs, and felt comfortable throughout (so much easier than fell running!) but I inevitably lacked the cycle-specific training and power sufficient to churn out 20-25mph speeds on the flat. Started from Crewe after an appalling queue to cross the start, and headed east towards Scholar Green and the start of the famous climb up Mow Cop after 16m. I got into a small gear, and found the climb comfortable and enjoyable. It is quite steep at the start, then eases off before kicking up dramatically (25%) past the pub, where I had to get out of the saddle for a bit. A medal was awarded for those completing this section without getting off (the main hazard is bikes swerving across the road and riders falling off), but in reality the climb carries on past the folly to the top of the ridge and was satisfying to ride in one go. Superb riding through the edge of the Peak ensued, with more nice climbs over Blacky Bank and Bridestones before reaching a feed station after 27m near Macclesfield. After a few more sharp and scenic climbs around Wincle, the route flattens out and becomes a fast chug west across the width of Cheshire. I felt comfortable throughout, but was clearly taking it far too easy by the time I reached the next feed at Holmes Chapel. At Beeston, the sun came out and I hooked on to the back of a faster group of 12-15 riders and pushed on in a bigger gear. This was superb, and the obvious secret to recording a faster time. The pack raced along, and the faster pace was no less comfortable than mincing along at a higher cadence. It carried me past Tattenhall along roads familiar from various races towards home territory at Tilston. A short ride would have seen me back in HK, but I was still really enjoying the day and headed back east after a feed for the remaining 23m. Found it hard to get a group at my pace, though, as the field had thinned out, and I was severely held up by traffic in Nantwich, which was rather annoying. An interesting day out, but it brings the brief cycling interlude to a close for now (although three more big rides are planned before hitting the Alpine climbs in July, and I'll probably have a proper bash at one more of the polocini sportives in late summer, as these seem far more pleasant and low key). The injuries seem to be sorting themselves out, so it's back to the day job with some big fell races coming up.

No comments: