Sunday, April 03, 2011

Llanbedr to Blaenafon fell race

Race: Llanbedr to Blaenafon fell race, Gwent (15m/4500ft/AL)
Peaks: Crug Mawr, Sugarloaf, Blorenge
Time/Position: 2:37:21 (14th from 116)

A classic race run in perfect clear spring weather: a real treat. I knew I didn't have the distance in my legs as I haven't run 'long' since the Rab last September, and I haven't done a true AL since 2009. However, we decided to make a weekend of it and hope my various injuries didn't play up. The recent cycling/running replacement strategy must have paid some dividends in terms of endurance as it went quite well. A carload of us left for the start in Blaenafon: the race takes off down a cobbled track before surprisingly runnable contouring tracks lead gradually to the breezy top of Crug Mawr. Great views north over the Black Mountains with the morning mist all gone, probably 12 years since I last visited that area. Deliberately took it easy for the long descent into Cwm Beusych, before crossing Grwyne Fawr for more gently rising paths leading to a fine ridge up the Sugar Loaf. Again, surprisingly runnable. Acquired an infuriating stitch on the descent into St Mary's Vale, multiple chances to get lost here, before even trickier 'urban nav' through the edge of Abergavenny, over the Usk, to a sidelane leading up to water and snacks at Llanfoist. This road section was really tough for me given recent injury problems, and I knew I needed to eat something before the final brutal slog up the Blorenge. I downed a gel saved from last week's Cheshire Cat and began to feel ill almost immediately. But it was never bad enough to stop me maintaining a steady chug up this famously steep hill - surprisingly gaining a couple of places. After leaving the woods, the path gets steeper and steeper until you are literally on your hands and knees for the final section. This gains the plateau summit of Blorenge, after which it's a fair distance to the finish. I concentrated on keeping my position, and did so despite getting lost in upper Blaenafon looking for the rugby club. So the first race of the Welsh Champs is in the bag: hopefully I'll be able to get a bit faster for the rest. A tremendous event, with very varied rural/industrial scenery: the essence of South Wales in microcosm for the weekending North Walian.

No comments: