Saturday, April 09, 2011

Llantysilio fell race

Race: Llantysilio mountain race (6.2m/2100ft/AM)
Time/Position: 58:33 (10th from 92 [3rd V40])

For some reason, this was the only local race that I'd never done. Another stunning day, so the children entered the earlier 'lollop', with E particularly enjoying the little circuit around a farm. The main race takes a logical circuit from the Rhewl side of these superbly runnable hills, starting in the village itself. It curves over towards a vague ridge then levels off after a steep climb. One group of 7 or 8 runners went clear, leaving a big gap to a second group. This group stayed together for the flat section across fields before climbing up to Moel Morfydd. I still feel some way off the pace, although the injuries are slowly clearing, but at least I seem to be climbing OK now. I put a bit of a spurt on across Moel y Gaer, feeling quite good for the first time in months. The route follows the main ridge to Gamelin, which always gives great running. Quite hot, easily the hottest conditions I've raced in since last summer, but fantastic clear views in all directions. I managed to pull away a bit on the climb to Gamelin, because I knew I'd descend back to the valley slowly. I wrenched my calf badly at one point, when a patch of heather twisted it to the side. But I gradually ran it off, and the dry conditions replaced the pain with a different variety by giving me a monster blister to contend with on the long descent. Narrow sheep tracks lead to a steep road back to the village. A walk along the river to Llangollen for lunch was a nice way to warm down.

No comments: