Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Rhyl 5k

Race: Rhyl Suncentre 5k (North Wales 5k Championships)
Time/Position: 16:54 (6th from 93 [2nd V40])
As I was supposed to be abroad this week, I hadn't planned on doing this race. But the cancelled flight meant that it became an ideal opportunity for an evening speed session. Lovely tranquil summer evening, and a fine seaside race from the Suncentre out towards Prestatyn and the golf course. I've been struggling with another knee niggle, so thought this would be a good test in racing flats. I was therefore pleased and quite relieved to feel reasonably good, particularly as I haven't done intervals for a couple of months: no major problems from the knee, just a few aches. A slight headwind on the return leg meant the last couple of kilometres were slightly slower than the first three, but I felt relatively comfortable until having to dig in for the last 500m - mum's encouragement a great help at this point! I don't do many 5k's (the last one was in 2010), so this was a narrow PB by 5 seconds.

No comments: