Saturday, June 29, 2013

Ras Foel Fras

Race: Foel Fras fell race (20k/920m)
Time/Position: 1.55.48 (6th from 60)
In contrast to last year, when I found myself leading over Moel Wnion in driving sleet, as well as 2009 (when an incoming storm decimated the field on the summit of Garnedd Uchaf) conditions today were calm and serene. Although I was at least four minutes down, however, I still really enjoyed the race which remains one of my favourites: maybe my fifth time at the event? The climb from Aber must be one of the longest anywhere - basically five miles and an hour of constant uphill effort. After the steep early tarmac, some gaps started to appear as we all got into our respective rhythms. Jez was well ahead at this point but, unusually for a race of this length, myself and a guy from Glossopdale found ourselves neatly matched for pace on the long gradual climb up Drum. We took it in turns to take over the lead, pushing ourselves gradually towards the summit. He was stronger towards the top of Drum, although I managed to drag myself back on the boggy crawl up Foel Fras where I regained a bit of strength. We tried in vain to get up to the runner in third place before scampering through the awkward boulder fields on top of Foel Fras to fast running over the good path to Garnedd Uchaf. No bearing necessary this year, but I still managed to plunge too far north, skirting Bera Mawr in a reasonably direct contouring line but unfortunately bringing us both out on the steep scree below the summit. We both went flying on the tussocks shortly before this, and I continued slightly winded. I took a better line across to Moel Wnion, and on the early part of the descent - but the Glossopdale runner and another fast finisher were too strong for me on the descent and I finished at the back of our small group. My knee wasn't the problem, just a basic lack of speed at present. That said, I always thoroughly enjoy the final descent on this race - with the sea glistening below and great views over the wooded valley to Llwytmor.

No comments: