Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Buckstones bouldering

I'd never heard of the Buckstones, but discovered them after scouting around for venues that I could visit on my regular trips to Huddersfield (Dovestones and the crags I'd visited previously being rather unsuitable). It turned out to be a very pleasant little bouldering venue: a sort of miniature Yorkshire version of Fontainebleau. I had very little time, so started off 'below the road' on a series of small boulders with nice views out over March Heigh reservoir and over classic Pennine moorland to Marsden and Black Hill. I worked my way through the easy problems of Sector F - nothing harder than Font 5, so good for weaklings. These included 29, 30, 40 (up a vague flake), 43, 44, 45, 46, 48, 54 (Keeping Toads: a nice font 4 up a longer grit wall), 66 (pleasant arete and scoop), 67 (good holds up a clean wall), 68 (font 5: more technical steep wall via a pocket), 69 (good easy climbing up arete), 72, 73, 74, 75, 76. Beautiful warm sunshine all day.

No comments: