Thursday, June 06, 2013

Deeside Off-Road Race

Race: Deestriders Off-Road Grand Prix Race 1 (4.6m)
Time/Position: 28.06 (5th from 75)
Lots of diary clashes preventing me from racing at present, so I seized the opportunity to give this four-race summer series a proper bash for the first time (having never managed more than one appearance in previous years). A nice warm evening, very dry underfoot, and a valuable work-out. I felt quite uncomfortable throughout, probably because I haven't raced or done any speedwork for over a month. Went off a little fast, and found myself battling it out for fifth place after a mile or two. My knee felt OK, but even though this course is flat - based on two big laps of playing fields and woodland - I lost ground as soon as the race left the tarmac. By the time I got to the return leg along a dyke by the side of the Dee, I was starting to blow a bit. But, given my lack of training and racing, I was quite pleased to finish 5th - although all the top five were over 40.

No comments: