Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Up the Beast fell race

Race: Up the Beast (4.5m/1500ft)
Time/Position: 37:33 (8th from 90)
The local races all seem to be getting far tougher: there was a time when I was first Veteran at this race, but I can't see those days coming back again! As with last week, this event was dominated by the over 40s and I finished well down the field although my time was virtually identical to last year. I've done every one of these races since it was launched, six now I think, and always really enjoy it. This time, I started a little slowly as I have been feeling very tired since returning from Scotland and have done very little running. This tactic worked reasonably well, and I kept it going on the first climb via the 'Beast' to the limestone crags of Bryn Alyn. The little climbing sections are a novelty and, although I lost places on the descent to Big Covert, I regained them on the super-steep and very humid climb back to Bryn Alyn. A good descent of the Beast allowed me to pick up a couple more places through the woods: knee feeling fine now.

No comments: