Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Hotfoot up Famau fell race

Race: Hotfoot up Famau
Time/Position: 40.32 (13th from 104)
I've been due a really bad race for a while, struggling in training for a month, so there was something inevitable about this. Well over two minutes down on last year's time, and not far off my slowest ever time for this race (which is normally one of my favourites). I didn't feel too bad initially, but the unique nature of this course means you have to start fast and hold your place on the long plummet down the valley. Started to struggle towards the top of Moel y Gaer and felt awful on the little ridge that leads to the steep descent on peat to Nant y Ne. I completely blew here, and had to walk even the gentlest gradient, losing buckets of time and lots of positions. The gully was hot and humid, which made my suffering even worse, and I was glad to get to the descent down from Famau. Not sure what the problem was: long high-pressure day at conference, or hayfever? Looks like I might be helping to organise this race next year, so it's a bit of a shame I couldn't bow out with a better performance!

No comments: