Sunday, August 04, 2013

North Wales half marathon

Race: North Wales half marathon (Beacons-Sychnant-Conwy Mountain)
Time/Position: 1.27.45 (11th from 341)
A wonderfully varied and scenic loop. I know every inch of this terrain and have run versions of this route several times in training, but I still thought that the idea of weaving it into a formal half marathon is a good one. Sadly, the inconsistency that has characterised the year was a factor again and I really struggled throughout the race: didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped. I was barely aware of the event at all, only hearing about it last Monday, but thought that it might be fun, and possible for fell runners to gain a few places on the long climb up Sychnant and over Conwy Mountain. Actually, the exact reverse of this happened: I went reasonably well on the 5/6 mile flat section along the beach and bike path from the Beacons to the Llanfairfechan headland and was in 7th place at this stage. But I began to struggle as soon as the road kicked up towards Penmaenmawr and that was game over really: the long climb through Dwygyfylchi over Sychnant and the 'fell race' style section up Conwy Mountain was just a case of hanging on, certainly not the anticipated romp up steepish terrain. The paths over the mountain were all very familiar to me, and give lovely views over mountain and sea. I perked up a bit on the descent and caught the three runners who'd passed me on Sychnant as we went through Cadnant Park in Conwy and down to Marine Drive. Then I blew again, needing a gel - but hadn't bothered to pack anything. Just hanging on for the flat section through the marina and back along the soft, energy-draining beach sand.

No comments: