Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Ponderosa fell race

Race: Ponderosa (4m/1000ft)
Time/Position: 28.39 (11th from 109)
One of the most exciting races on the calendar, this is always an unusual yet enjoyable outing. You don't get much time to relax, as the main climb is over in the first ten minutes. I was well off the pace as I crested the top of Cyrn y Brain in just under nine minutes from the Ponderosa - so I only had myself to blame for the fact that the inevitable major delays occurred on the very narrow tracks that weave through the heather on the initial descent. Eventually, when the descent kicks back west above Eglwyseg you get a few chances to overtake. I made one early attempt, clipped a mud bank and ended up lying in the heather, then two chaps face-planted in the first deep bog. After this I picked up a few more places as the paths broaden out, but couldn't quite catch a large group in front.

No comments: