Monday, August 26, 2013

Moel Famau fell race

Race: Cilcain Mountain Race (5m/1237ft)
Time/Position: 36.56 (10th from 202)
Last year's time was a minute down on 2011, and this was even slower! Not sure whether this is symbolic of a gradual decline, or an unusually good performance two years ago. Whatever, today was my tenth running of the event and so an anniversary of sorts: there is surely no other race I have done 10 times. A superb day for it too, sunny and clear, and a huge field (200+) turned out. It is far from a typical Clwydian race, with its big cheering crowds and village show atmosphere, but I always enjoy it. It was hotter than usual today, and I may have gone off a little too fast. Struggled quite early on the zigzags and was much slower to the top than usual. I made up for this a little with a reasonably sharp descent, and managed to claw back a few places and hold on for the final climb back to the village to just squeeze into the top 10.

No comments: