Saturday, May 30, 2015

Meall a'Bhuiridh

Peak: Meall a'Bhuiridh (1108m/3635ft)
Area: Blackmount, Central Highlands
Somewhat annoyingly, this was probably the best day of the week in terms of weather, but also the day we had to leave Skye. I tentatively suggested a run from the Cluanie Inn as we drove past, but this was rejected by the democratic family unit. Instead, we continued all the way past Glencoe then stopped for lunch at the White Corries ski centre. This gave me an hour to get something done and break the long journey more satisfyingly. I used mechanical assistance for the first time ever in the UK, taking the chair lift up to Coire Pollach. Above, an incredible scene for the time of year: a virtually complete snowfield leading up to the summit. I ran along the tracks then up the snow slopes in Mudclaws. Knee deep at times, until I found a line of steps. Several parties were on skis. The weather was cold, but the sun was starting to peek through. Blue sky and white snow: a late season reminder of the joys of winter mountaineering. I picked my way up more interesting snow slopes further west and gained the summit of Meall a'Bhuiridh shortly afterwards. I was very tempted to continue along the ridge to Creise but this would have been exceptionally badly received by the family. Instead, I enjoyed a truly superb glissade down the snow: perhaps the best I've ever experienced. This lead in a matter of minutes to the chairlift, and I continued the run down the rocky path all the way to the cafe: batteries recharged for the long drive home.

No comments: