Sunday, August 14, 2016

Two Hillforts race

Race: Two Hillforts fell race (9.3m/2000ft)
Time/Position: 71.04 (8th from 104)
Since this race was launched a couple of years ago, I assumed it was a version of the now defunct Tavern Trail or Lletty. It actually takes quite a different route around the northern end of the Clwydian range and is a very runnable route. So runnable, in fact, that I went off far too quickly, thinking any remaining road pace might push me up the field. In reality, I couldn't hold the pace and blew as soon as the route steepened below Pen y Cloddiau. From Llandyrnog, the route goes across fields to the road taken by the Vale of Clwyd 10k. This continues much further up before breaking off for a steep path that I couldn't remember running before. This takes a direct line to the Pen y Cloddiau car park. Superb level running around the side of that hill before a short, steep climb gains the summit. I know this area well, and love the descent down OD towards Moel Arthur. I was in fifth place at this point, but knew the game was up as we started the climb to Arthur, paying the price for the quick start and lack of recent speed work. From the top of Moel Arthur, a very long but not too steep descent to Llandyrnog awaits, taking the road and long contouring bridleway. Theoretically ideal, but I was still blowing badly and really struggled: ended up being passed by three and finishing eighth.

No comments: