Sunday, August 28, 2016

Cnicht race

Race: Ras y Cnicht (4.5m/1850ft)
Time/Position: 46.14 (14th from 64)
Because this race clashes with the Cilcain mountain race, which I did every year for a decade from 2003, I've never done it before. After 'retiring' from Cilcain, I then did the Wild Wales cycling event on the same day, so Cnicht remained one of the very few North Wales mountain races 'unticked'. I have walked up the peak numerous times from Croesor, however, and always thought that the race must be a classic 'up and down' from the village. It is indeed, with steep tarmac giving way to the track through beautiful oak woodland. Then a bit of a respite as the path winds up the lower slopes towards the conical summit that gives it the hackneyed 'Welsh Matterhorn' nickname. I felt reasonably good initially, but slowed a bit towards the top of the approach slopes which are inevitably steeper than they first appear! From here, the route becomes rocky until you reach the scrambly chimney with gives access to the summit. It was misty for this top section, which limited route choice on the descent. I suspect detailed local knowledge might yield some racing lines, but as it was I stuck to the main route including the chimney which is obviously fairly hazardous to descend. All rather slow until gaining the grassier lower section. Having said that, I gained a place and finished reasonably quickly. A few seconds over 30 minutes to the summit, 15 back down to the finish. We then enjoyed the novelty of the slate swimming pool 'ice bath' in the village: I managed full submersion and two widths!

No comments: