Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Deeside track mile

Race: Deeside Track Mile (One mile)
Time/Position: 5.05.6 (5th from 35)
Track events are the obvious thing missing from my 'running CV'. Not surprisingly, age is a bit of a barrier to speed, and 47 is hardly the perfect age for this distance, although I suspect I wouldn't have had much raw speed even if I had taken it seriously in my early 20s. I ran a 9.49 3k on the track a few years ago, and have trained a few times at the Deeside track, but this was my first ever formal measured track mile. The pace was obviously hard from the off, but I held back a bit, unable to go with the pace of this first heat. By the second lap I managed to catch up a bit with my usual 'one pace' approach, tucked in behind Dave and Chris, then pushed as hard as I could on the last lap, narrowly failing to break 5 minutes. I will try a few more 1500m/mile races on the track this summer, if possible, before switching to the entirely contrasting (but also largely missing from my experience) ultras next year.

No comments: