Thursday, June 03, 2021

Easains

Peaks: Stob a'Coire Mheadhoin, Stob Coire Easain
Area: Central Highlands
These two peaks are very noticeable 'twins' close to the Grey Corries and the hills of the Tranter Round, which gave us a memorable long day out in 2012. Easain, in particular, is a fine peak. My guidebook was a tad misleading, directing me up a very confusing route from the little lake above the hamlet Fersit, which sits in a very central position not far from Spean Bridge. I struggled to find the route initially (because I was in the wrong starting point) moving to and fro until finally following my nose up the broad ridge which ultimately leads all the way to the summit. I gained a path, and then excellent open ground below the steep nose of Meall Cian Dearg. Superb views across to the Grey Corries: Stob Coire Claurigh is a particularly impressive mountain I remembered well from 2012, mist flirted with its snowy summit as I climbed up. I took the steep nose by a contouring and completely pathless line to the west, another stupid error on a day of daft errors. This was far harder than it should have been and meant I had to plot a route on instinct to eventually regain the upper ridge below a false summit of Mheadhoin. The wind up here was fierce, the worst of the trip and yet again an example of the current weather pattern which does not reward early starts! In some of the cols, the wind made progress difficult as it whipped in from the west. Great views down to Loch Treig, across to Chno Dearg and the peaks I did on Sunday. From the summit of Mheadhoin, a longish descent leads to a sharp col then a steep (and very windy) ascent to Easain, with even better views but even stronger winds. Then comes a tiring reascent of Mheadhoin and a delightful descent, on route this time, down the ridge with superb views of the Central Highlands. I took the nose direct this time, enjoying some mild scrambling, far easier than my contouring variation to the west! I dropped east (via a drink and break at a stream) as soon as I could to the lakeside of Loch Treig, which sits in a tight valley and is quite impressive, although dammed. Around 1400m of ascent, so a fairly tiring pre-breakfast outing.

No comments: