Sunday, June 20, 2021

Colshaw Hall 10k

Race: Colshaw Hall 10k
Time/Position: 36.40 (35th from 700 [3rd V50])
Unlike Aintree last month, this felt much more like old times. Although there were 'waves' of starters, it was a proper race in the sense that you always had some idea of where you were in the field. All the more disappointing, then, that I couldn't find a faster time in my legs. I felt reasonably good for the first 5k but was conscious that again I seem to be hitting a kind of ceiling that I can't go beyond. It is tempting to blame this on age, but I'm not convinced this is more than a partial explanation, as I still can't find the motivation to return to any formal speedwork, and think that is a better reason (along with the usual slow gallivanting in the mountains). My PB days are over, of course, but I still want to go sub-36 again, at the very least. The race route was very pleasant, much better than Aintree's lap format, with a nice loop of the east Cheshire countryside from its start in Over Peover (near Knutsford) down to Jodrell Bank. Well organised too. I was ranked 21st V50 for 10k in the UK before this race but will be lower now: perhaps some formal speedwork is now in order! I have a couple more bites at the cherry to improve my ranking over the distance to come this year.

No comments: