Thursday, June 24, 2021

Two Lads fell race

Race: Two Lads fell race (8k/362m)
Time/Position: 38.50 (26th from 126 [3rd V50])
The heart of Lancastrian fell running, but I've only raced once in this area before. That was the classic Rivington Pike a good few years ago, but Two Lads is also long established and was a great opportunity to do a race with my old colleague Ato, a Bolton local. It started to rain just before the start near a pub in town, and it stayed wet and very misty throughout, but this made it atmospheric and enjoyable. The race suited me well, just the sort of thing I like with runnable gradients throughout. Steep tarmac from Horwich led to a track which headed through dripping woodland to gain the open hill in typical Pennine conditions. Thick clag up to the top of the moor, and then a big loop over the hill of White Brow. After a fast road descent, the route doubled-back to take in the 'Two Lads' themselves (giant cairns on the edge of the moor, visible for miles). I was passed by two fast descenders but otherwise kept a decent pace ticking over. In fact, it was probably the best race of this week's trio, in terms of both performance and enjoyment, although the one I took least seriously (could only manage 3rd V50 in all three!). Ato and I retired for a superb dosa in a nearby south Indian cafe, an ideal post-race snack.

No comments: