Thursday, September 01, 2022

Glyder Fawr combination

Peaks: Glyder Fawr
Area: Glyderau, Eryri
Idwal Staircase is a giant sluice, a watercourse that tumbles down from the upper slopes of Glyder Fawr into a broad, slanting gully that marks the end of the Idwal Slabs. I had only ever done it in winter before, on fragile ice, because I have always concentrated on the proper rock climbs hereabouts, not the scrambles. But I have done so little climbing since Covid that I feel mild scrambles are the way to reacquaint myself with the art. After such a dry summer, I felt it might even be completely dry. After a gentle jog from Ogwen, it was clear that it was - and I was up the main staircase in less than five minutes, a lot of fun in these conditions, just the sort of gentle, juggy reintroduction to rock that I needed. From here, the route moves left to a series of slabs. I went too far up initially, then baulked at the left-hand line, instead settling for a combination of a steep but grassy gully, very narrow, and the right-hand side of the upper slabs. At the top, this gains Senior's Ridge. I was tiring slightly, just walking, but enjoyed the broad ascent, which I rarely do. At the top I took some of the steps direct, lovely rough rock. The mist was down around the top of Cwm Cneifion, so I just contoured round the top of it, always the best way to locate the Gribin. Trotted down this as the mist cleared, then took the left-hand cut through to Idwal rather than the steps from Bochlwyd. Very steady and slow throughout, feeling tired and trying to conserve energy.  

No comments: