Sunday, September 04, 2022

VB half marathon

Race: Village Bakery half marathon (Wrexham)
Time/Position: 1.20.52 (85th from 1385)
Undoubtedly a race too far. I don't know how many times I have done the VB half over the years, perhaps eight or more, and I was well prepared for this in every way apart from one: putting in too much of an effort on Friday night combined with the double header earlier in the week and the two mountain days. As a result, it was yet another 80 minute half marathon, almost unbelievably my 6th in the past two years: no matter how I approach them tactically, no matter what the course is like, I run 80 minutes, around three minutes down on my 2013 PB, every time. I was reasonably conservative today, but never felt particularly lively, although I did perk up around the half way mark and felt quite strong over the back end of the course as it heads towards Holt. But the gentle climb up Francis Lane, which goes on for almost 3k, finished me off (as it did last year) and I saw my target time of 1.18 disappear.

No comments: