Saturday, September 10, 2022

King John's Castle

Race: King John's Castle fell race
Time/Position: 39.49 (3rd from 42)
I came second at this race when it was run clockwise a few years ago but only had vague memories of doing it this way round, anticlockwise - apparently the standard direction for the race. Whatever, it is definitely easier this way round and I really enjoyed the outing, one of several different options this weekend. I've over-raced recently, so deliberately took it fairly easy initially, up the long climb from the village up towards Moel Llanfair. Once at the saddle between Llanfair and Gyw, most of the hard work is done. This has always been my favourite part of the Clwydians, and I pelted down the track below Llanfair and kept a slow but steady pace going up to the top of Moel y Plas, moving into third place. I took the circuitous descent rather than the direct and found it better, less awkward. Fast running down the track to the final cross-country section, which is something of a sting in the tail as the terrain is tricky and overgrown through meadows, copses, nettles and little limestone walls. 

No comments: