Sunday, September 18, 2022

Vyrnwy half marathon

Race: Vyrnwy half marathon
Time/Position: 1.18.04 (35th from 825 [1st V50])
I was convinced that I had a decent time in me this year, despite the six consecutive disappointing 80 minute half marathons I've run since entering my 50s. At times, that had looked like a ceiling, but today I felt strong and controlled throughout - and thoroughly enjoyed it. I ran 1.18.25 the last time I did the event in 2011 so it was really pleasing to go slightly quicker than that today. More importantly, it's also one of the most satisfying races around, in a landscape that I always enjoy: I spent a fortnight working in Llanwddyn in the 90s. It was also nice to go with Dave and Kathryn today, with the event a little more commercial than it used to be! The uphill start is fine, and actually forces you to think hard about pacing. After the dam I just set a nice 6 minute mile pace, and a good group of around eight formed. A slight headwind so it would have been nice to swap leads, but three of them later thanked me for my solid pace setting! The great thing about Vyrnwy is the way the road hugs the shore, even at the wilder far end, and I accepted I was on a decent day at the turn around - this is always a great feeling, not all that common, and something to be savoured as you power along in a good strong group. Almost certainly a negative split, as you know you have a very fast final mile to look forward to after the dam. Felt pretty good, and won my category (joint 5th in the all-time north Wales V50 rankings).

No comments: