Saturday, August 01, 2009

Borrowdale fell race

Race: Borrowdale fell race (17m/7000ft)
Peaks: Bessyboot, Scafell Pike, Great Gable, Dale Head
Time/position: 4:14:39 (118/330?)

I wanted to get a classic long Lakes fell race under my belt this summer, so it seemed logical to go for the most famous first. Not much of a performance, as I just plodded round with a stupidly big sac, but an enjoyable day regardless - combined with an enjoyable weekend. Pouring with rain as we arrived in Rosthwaite, but the weather improved throughout the race and was clear by the top of the very steep climb up Bessyboot. Unsurprisingly boggy and hard-going underfoot for the very long traverse above Langstrath skirting Glaramara. Somewhat colder and windier at the second check at Esk Hause, but I rather enjoyed the subsequent climb up Scafell Pike. The terrain becomes increasingly arduous, scree and wet rock throughout, but the summit came sooner than I'd expected (one advantage of a recent Alpine trip!). Took a quick bearing in the mist, not wanting to follow runners, and quickly came to the steep scree gully. This was great fun, very steep and fast, and I was feeling pretty comfortable. The Corridor route was enjoyable new territory, and I found the short cuts before getting to a boggy Styhead. Felt OK for the climb up Great Gable, where I took another bearing in thick mist for the unusually tough descent to the col and traverse of Green Gable and Brandreth where the mist cleared to reveal nice views down to Buttermere. Didn't feel quite so comfortable for the rest of the race, west of Grey Knotts and down steeply to Honister, then the gruelling final climb up Dale Head. I was last up here during last year's OMM, when I was blown to the ground several times as I struggled past the enormous cairn. The conditions were rather better today, and I perked up at the summit and had a good final descent through the quarries above Tongue Gill back to Rosthwaite. Took around 10 runners here, a possible indication that I should have tried harder in the rest of the race! Waited for Vic to arrive, then camped in Stonethwaite and retired to the pub.

No comments: