Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ponderosa fell race

Race: Ponderosa fell race (4m/1000ft)
Time/position: 29:02 (16th/132)

First short race, or speedwork of any kind, since the Beast at the start of July. As such, I was quite pleased and rather surprised by a reasonable outing on this fast evening route. Took nearly two minutes off my previous time for this race (2007), but the field was very strong so I finished well off the pace (although I would have won the v40 category comfortably, had I been 9 months older!). The mist was down over the Horseshoe Pass as we started, with some cold rain. I climbed quite well to Cyrn y Brain, then held my place during the relentless but enjoyable descent on very narrow tracks through the heather. The mist began to clear as we contoured the valley and I felt reasonably comfortable in the circumstances, although was holding on a bit for the final climb back to the Pass.

No comments: